Computer Center at ARIES have been concentrated around providing state-of-the-art computing, networking with Internet and Intranet services, communication services, in-house IT solutions, software development, database management, etc. This center provides high-end computing, cluster-based computing, and programming supports to various R&D projects of the institute. Some major facilities managed by the Computer Center is as follows:
In recent years the rising demand of larger memory, high speed scientific and engineering computation, processing, and storage requirements from the institute’s Staffs/Faculty & students led to elevate the priority of establishing the Surya High End Computing facility. Apart from the existing Servers, Workstations, and newly installed Compute-intensive Servers in the Computer Center at Manora Peak, we have procured two small clusters with the following configuration. These systems will be installed in May 2021 and planned to run 24 x 7 to meet the computing needs of the users.
This is a breakdown of the HPC Cluster.
Main Node (x2)
- HPE DL380 Gen10
- 2 x Intel® Xeon® Gold 6226R processor (16Cores, 2.9 GHz, L3 Cache: 22 MB)
- 192GB DDR4 Registered ECC (12 x 16GB)
- 8 x 8TB NL-SAS 7200 rpm
- Raid controller supporting - RAID Levels 0, 1, 5 and 6
- 2 x 1Gbps ports with PXE boot capability
Compute Node (x6)
- HPE DL360 Gen10
- 2 x Intel® Xeon® Gold 6240R processor (24Cores, 2.4 GHz, L3 Cache: 35.75 MB)
- 384GB DDR4 Registered ECC (12 X 32GB)
- 2 x 1Gbps ports with PXE boot capability
Cluster Interconnect (x2)
- 1x 100 Gbps, 40 port Mellanox IB HDR Switch
- 1x Ethernet Switch 25Gbps
- Compilers: GNU Compiler (C, C++ and Fortran)
- Cluster Monitoring Tools
- Job scheduler: Open source
- Compatible latest OFED drivers, OpenMPI, MPICH2, MVAPICH and open source/free libraries
- Python implementation that will run on the compute partition with optimized MPI4Py, NumPy, and SciPy libraries
FOR MORE DETAILS ON SURYA HPC FACILITIES AND FOR ACCOUNT REQUISITION KINDLY VISIT ON- Surya-HPC Portal
Internet, E-Mail services of the Institute. It is providing various network services 24X7 through secure network gateway with 1 Gbps internet bandwidth, provided by National Knowledge Network (NKN). Additional internet connectivity is also operational through BSNL & Airconnect to ensure high availability of network services. The following are some network services:
- Local Area Network (Wired/Wi-Fi), Wide Area Network (WAN)
- Internet and E-mail services
- Internet Bandwidth Management
- Secure Network Gateway Setup and Allied Services
- Network Security Policy
- Windows and Linux Server Administration
- Workstation & Servers for services like Web, Email, DHCP, DNS, etc.
- Management of Point to Point Microwave links
- Web-based Learner & Employee Support Services
- Website and allied Services
- Webcasting/Web-Conferencing/Audio & Video Conferencing facility, etc.
- Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) service
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) services
Institute’s website is managed and maintained by the Center. The open-source Content Management System (CMS) based Website incorporates modern technology, standards, and UAT and security guidelines. It disseminates all the Institute related information including the Research facilitates in the area of Astronomy, Astrophysics & Atmospheric Sciences.
Computer Center focuses on Software development using technologies like .NET (C, C++, C#, ASP.Net, etc.), PHP, Python, MATLAB, LabVIEW, Java, etc. to support the R&D activities of the Institute. Different Software interfaces are designed and developed for various stakeholders of the Institute to facilitate for their needs, on demand.
The Center maintains the ISDN-PRI telephone lines from service providers (BSNL), and high-end PBX systems.
Computer Center is playing vital role in establishment of IT Infrastructure such as Computers, Laptops, Printers, Scanners, Projectors, CCTV, and other peripheral devices. All these are connected through wired/wireless network to access various Internet/Intranet application services.
Short (less than 6 months) and long periods (6 months or more) training are provided by the Computer Center for Diploma/B.Tech/BCA/B.Sc./M.Tech/M.Sc./MCA students in the discipline of Computer Science, Information Technology, and Electronics & Communication Engineering, etc. The interested candidates may contact Dr. Ashish Kumar, Mr. Sanjit Sahu, Mr. Mohit Joshi.